Some days are different than others. Last week in the kindergarten classroom, the assistant teacher and I were really cold. We both were jogging on the spot, while the kids just sat on the carpet and stared at us with the utmost look of 'you guys are weird' and confusion. We then proceeded to stand next to each other, and huddle, which, they thought was funny, because I had to bend down to be at her height considering, she is half the size of me hight wise. So we decided to go make tea. The day after that ended being the day I spent the whole day with them, since their assistant teacher had a doctors appointment. (It had nothing to do with the previous morning.) I did the usual morning routine, but instead of leaving when they went to recess I stayed. It was the usual school day. After recess, they read a book. Then it was lunch. During lunch I had lunch with the other kindergarten teachers. I got to hear the teachers 'gossip' I guess, though I just sat there and smiled a lot. After lunch (again it was a usual schooled day. Not really interesting. But fun because of their little kindergarten personalities.) We had science class. So their teacher took half of them and taught them about veterans day, and I took half of them and read them a five senses book. There would be one page that was a close up of something, for example an onion. I had them take turns guessing what it was, (there was one kid who for every page guessed a hot dog). Then I would reveal what it was, and ask them silly questions. They were simple like can you taste the onion? Can you feel the onion? So you think you can feel the onion but do you think you can rub it on your skin? No?! Why not? There was a page where it was a close up of a parrot's beak. I turned the page and asked them questions like, "can you hear the parrot?" Of which one boy replied that parrots can in fact talk because he heard one talk once. I then asked them if they could taste the parrot, and what they think it would taste like. The same boy replied that it would taste all beaky and feathery. To that I replied that I just thought it would taste like chicken.
After science, there was math. And something called interventions. I'm pretty sure they went to recess again, and P.E. but I don't really remember the rest of the day. I know that when they went to P.E. (Educacion Fisica!) I helped their teacher with their nightly reading folders. After helping them with snack they had fifteen minutes just to play. So as I helped clean up snack, I noticed that one girl was making me something. I knew that I probably shouldn't look in her direction. So I didn't. Later she came up to me with a picture drawn of the two of us, that read,'ILovethedayatschoolwithyou.' (I love the day at school with you.) Once I got home, I showed it to everyone and then hung it up on my door. It made me so happy I told her to come here and I gave her hug. (I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to, but that's beside the point.)
Once in the third grade classroom they were learning about Rosh Hashana. I told their teacher that I had a shofar, and I could bring it in and give them a presentation about Rosh Hashana. So for about two weeks I brought in the shofar, until there was finally a day we could fit it in. She really wanted me to do it, it's just that she didn't have a lot of spare time. I took them out to the grass and I told them about the shofar, and then I proceeded to blow each individual call, (not to be bias but I actually did it fairly well, considering I hadn't done it in more than a year.) Then I handed each one of them a clorox wipe, and they proceeded to each take a turn. In between each turn they had to wipe the mouth piece off. I'd say about four of the twenty four children were able to do it. I was really surprised at how well they did it. My brother could do it, but just like his voice he did it at the highest pitch he could probably muster. He is a very high pitched person in general.
Then there was the time that smokey the bear came in, and gave an hour and a half long presentation on how to be safe in a forest, and how to not start fires. It was really long, and I thought it was a little too long for the younger ones. But yo make it up to them, at the end they got to take a picture of smokey the bear. I went to the third grade classroom where I began to sort out the number of pencils, rulers, and fire safety booklets for every class that went. I was even nice and gave them an even number of each color.
I think those were all of my different days. But everyday I go is exciting and different. I love going and everyone knowing me, and their little waves and smiles every time they see me.
This week I get to help with the school Thanksgiving lunches. All of the families come in and they get to have a special lunch in their classrooms with their kids. I heard it will be pretty hectic.
Popular Posts
-
Okay so there is this kitchy little ice cream parlor that I have been going to for years. It's kinda small, but it's filled with all...
-
http://www.edd.state.nm.us/about/cabinetSecretary/index.html Today my brother had a dentist appointment, and my sister had a doctor's ap...
-
Southwest Aeronautics Mathematics and Science Academy- SAMS Academy I've been on the waiting list to go to a charter school called SSLC ...
-
Synopsis of my 50,000 word novel. Stuck at home sick, with nothing to do, these rambunctious little boys and moody sister have nothing to do...
Well, I happen to know that you did in fact survive the Thanksgiving Lunch. Hopefully you get credit for survival skill development, too.
ReplyDeleteEach day teaching is different despite the best laid lesson plans. You try to keep things comfortably predictable; it is an amazing amount of chaos and lack of stability with subsequent emotions and consequences that can be stuffed into the short five years of life these children have lived. Any little twist though, can offset the balance and as a teacher you have to try to keep everyone afloat and on course if you're talented. It feels like a captain on a (raft-like) boat charting the course through unpredictable waters. When you get to the end and look around you, you realize that you all survived due to each other's decisions and actions and a camaraderie bond has been made. You, Miss Celia, are part of this adventure now too, successes and struggles included.
Oh and a spell of sea sickness is practically mandatory for the journey too! Lol!
ReplyDelete