Considering a huge majority of the Young Judaea Midwest region lives in Illinois, very few of us were picked up at the airport, (Most people drove.) My best friend and I were picked up at Midway, with a few other people, and then we drove to O'hair to pick up the rest. As we were both flying in, and driving trough Chicago, I saw how big the city was, and minuscule Albuquerque is. Once we had picked everyone up at the airports we drove to where everyone would be staying, which was a camp called Camp Henry Horner, (where we all stayed in one big cabin.)
The first night consisted of unpacking, eating dinner, re-uniting with old friends, and going to bed. The buys got one side of the cabin, and the girls got the other, witch was separated by the bath rooms, the hallways, and one big room which was called the middle room. This was the only room in the cabin tat bot the boys and the girls were allowed to be in together. There were four buildings that we went in all together, considering we had to to share the camp with two other groups of people. Witch surprisingly we only ever saw at mealtimes. Their was a small building tat consisted of a small room, (about the size of living room,) and a bathroom. Then there was the dining hall, the main hall, (which was one big room,) and of coarse the cabins.
Now I know I was only there from Thursday trough Sunday, but I honestly can't remember when anything happened. Just that it did happen. Most of the time spent was discussions. Now Young Judaea being a zionist youth movement, these discussions consisted of Israel. Mostly what is going on in Israel right now, what our views are, and what we think should happen. We talked a lot about Israel's image right now, why it has done some of the things it has done. We talked a lot the green line a lot. The IDF, (Israeli Defense Force.) We also talked some about ow much we individually do and don't support Israel, how much we believe in what it's done, we talked about political issues. We talked about our personal connection to Israel, and we even talked about things back in America.
And when we weren't busy with discussions, and activities, we had fun. A lot of fun... And what's crazy is that some of us didn't know each other at the beginning of the convention, and we were in tears by the end, because we didn't want to say good bye. We became so close, and we were only there for a few days. There is a sense of security, and family that you get with Young Judaea, that everyone who has gone has said they couldn't find anywhere else. I mean where else would you tell someone your life story, and your deepest secrets before you even get to know their name? I'm sure some one reading this can name a few places, but you'd honestly have to be here to experience and understand what I mean.
Although it was cold, it was not as cold as I had expected. Yes it snowed once, but that was only in one night, and by the next morning, the snow had either melted, or had been apart of a snowball fight at one thirty in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment